The Post That Started It All

The Grand Reveal

Hello! So, I have recently decided to become a little more open about my health. Most of my friends and family probably assumed I have alre...

Friday, January 4, 2019

PSA: Handicap bathrooms are usually for, you know, handicap people

I'm generally cool with a mother with a young child that has to go but as for my mom, she'd drag anyone that is not handicap out of that special bathroom by their hair and accept assault charges from the police. Fortunately that has never actually happened. I'll admit it is rather annoying when someone that seems perfectly healthy takes over a handicap bathroom and I'm forced to wait with a medical emergency. Then again, even my health issues are usually invisible or well covered up so who's to say the other person has hidden health issues too? That is why I am typically more laid back and forgiving than my mom when it comes to the handicap bathroom. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, that is, if my ileostomy bag isn't about to burst, but I'll get to that in a second.

Anyway, to set politics aside, I got to see Mary Poppins Returns tonight. It was awesome! I highly recommend it. You may even see an old star or so make a cameo in this fantastic sequel. 😉

After the movie, my poor ileostomy bag got super full. I mean to the point I couldn't even bend my leg anymore. Man, oh man, I hate doing the pathetic hobble waddle to the bathroom but desperate times calls for desperate measures. As soon as the credits rolled, I told my mom I'd meet her outside the bathroom. I hobbled out of the theater, remembered the handicap bathroom is literally right next to the theater we were in, then made a beeline for it. This is the kind of bathroom where it is completely separate from the general public restroom. It's one of those individual bathrooms with a sign on the door indicating it's for handicap and generally unisex. At some places, it's called a family bathroom. I saw a couple of girls about my age about to touch the door handle for this bathroom. I shouted, "MEDICAL EMERGENCY! MOVE IT PLEASE!" The girls took one look at me then walked away.

With great relief I waddled to the door then it opened. A middle-aged man, whom I'd like to think was actually a janitor of sorts, exited the special bathroom. We did an awkward shuffle where he squeezed through the doorway as I attempted to be a ninja and slide past him but my full bag made me limp and bump into him instead. I did my business then went to where the general restrooms were located. 

That's when I noticed that particular restroom facility was actually temporarily closed for maintenance. Seeing the yellow tape made me all the more grateful I chose the handicap bathroom when I did. There was no way I would have been able to hobble all the way to the other side of the very large movie theater to the other set of public restrooms. I would have been in some deep doo doo by then, pun very much intended.



Oh hey! I bet you're wondering why there is such a long gap between this post and the last post. Well, I've gone through quite a bit. Introduced a couple of new members to my slew of medical contraptions, worked on kidney transplant stuff, started dialysis, and so on. All those things will most likely be in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment